Intercultural Skills in Working Life
Time: 12-23 August 2019
Duration and credits: 2 weeks, 5 ECTS
Teaching language: English
Level: Master and Bachelor
Max. number of attendees: to be announced
Course coordinator: Tuomas Järvenpää, email@example.com
Responsible department: School of Humanities: Finnish Language and Cultural Research
Learning outcomes: After the course the participants are able:
(1) To recognize and explain their existing practical intercultural competence
(2) To recognize and categorize different conceptual understandings of culture and their social implications
(3) To recognize and analyze their own cultural assumptions and social background
(4) Use basic tools of conflict resolution in interpersonal communication conflicts in working life context
The course includes two written home assignments, reading material and a seminar.
In the seminar, the students will rehearse intercultural communication and conflict resolution in working life context with practical exercises.
The reading material consists of texts in cultural identity, cultural perception, interpersonal communication strategies and conflict resolution.
The first written assignment of the course is a description and analysis of one personal intercultural commu-nication conflict. The second written assignment is a final essay, where the learning process is reflected with the course reading.
Modes of study: 14 hours of contact learning in seminars, individual work with readings and home assign-ments approximately 120 hours.
Teaching methods: to be announced
Study materials: to be announced
Evaluation criteria: The evaluation is based on three equal parts, each of which are evaluated on scale 1-5:
1) Written assignment 1
2) Oral participation to the seminar session
3) Written assignment 2
Attendance to the seminar sessions is compulsory (at minimum participation to 80% of the seminar sessions is required). Detailed grading criteria are presented in a written form at the beginning of the course.
Teacher: Tuomas Järvenpää (UEF)