Non-European Union (Non-EU) and Non-European Economic Area (Non-EEA) Citizens

Citizens from the non-EU/EEA countries usually need to obtain a visa or a residence permit / residence permit for employed persons before their arrival in Finland. You must initiate the application process yourself. The University of Eastern Finland cannot apply for the entry documents on your behalf.


A visa is an entry permit for short visits that do not exceed the duration of three months (90 days).

Researchers, teachers and specialists coming to work at the University of Eastern Finland on the basis of an invitation or a contract for no longer than 90 days, do not need a residence permit. They must, however, have a valid visa. Citizens from certain countries are exempt the from visa requirement. To apply for a visa and to see if you can enter Finland free of visa, please see the visa requirements at the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If you are working at the University of Eastern Finland in any other capacity than researcher/teacher/specialist, you must apply for a residence permit / residence permit for an employed person.

Further information

Residence permits

Residence permit  may be needed if you intend to live and work in Finland for longer than three months. If you are entering Finland to work in any of the following capacities, you will not need a residence permit for an employed person but a "residence permit for certain type of work":

Please note!  If you intend to study for a Licentiate's degree or prepare a doctoral dissertation and you are paying for your studies yourself, you must apply for a residence permit as a student.

How to apply for a residence permit

A residence permit can be applied for at the Finnish Embassies abroad. Please note that applications cannot be submitted to honorary consulates.

Submitting the residence permit application electronically at Enter Finland is the cheapest and fastest way to get a residence permit decision. You can also submit the application to a Finnish Embassy in your home country. If there is no Finnish Embassy in your home country, you should contact the Finnish Embassy nearest to your home country

Although the residence permit application can be submitted electronically, you must visit the Finnish Embassy in person to verify your identity and to present the original documents. Your application will not be processed until you have visited the Embassy.

Apply for the Finnish personal identity number too

You can ask to be registered in the Finnish Population Information System when you apply for your first residence permit, and receive a Finnish personal identity code at the same time as you are issued with the permit. Receiving a personal identity number together with the first residence permit will make many situations easier in the Finnish society.

Please note that the personal identity code is not given automatically when you apply for your first residence permit. You need to ask to be registered in the Population Information System when you apply for a residence permit or a residence card.

You should also note that you are not automatically registered as a resident of a certain city or town when you receive a personal identity code, i.e. you are not automatically given a municipality of residence. You need a municipality of residence in order to use the services provided by the municipality, such as healthcare and child day care services. To be registered with a municipality of residence, you need to visit your local register office (maistraatti) after your arrival in Finland.

Applying for a residence permit for family members

If you wish to bring your spouse/partner and family to Finland, it is recommended to submit all the applications at the same time. If the spouse/partner and family members submit their applications later, the processing times are substantially longer.

Further information:

Further information: