Almost 70 per cent of Finland's total land area is covered in forest and some 10 per cent by water. Nature is ever-present and part of everyday life even in cities. Nature offers an abundance of outdoor activities for you to enjoy.
Just to name a few: fishing, boating, hiking in summer; skating and skiing in winter and picking berries and mushrooms in autumn. Unlike in many other countries Everyman's Right allows people in Finland to roam on others' land for recreation or exercise, even to camp, as long as they do not damage property or disturb others.
Recommended nature links:
- Everyman's Right -Information leaflet in various languages
- Berry and mushroom picking:
- Hiking and cross-country skiing
- nationalparks.fi - information on Finnish national parks and hiking destinations
- Hiking routes in Joensuu area
- Hiking routes and jogging routes and skiing tracks in Kuopio area
- Nature and hiking trails in Savonlinna area
- Fishing, ice-skating, down-hill skiing -> see http://www.uef.fi/en/internationalstaff/sports
- Ice swimming
- Nordic / Tour skating