Although most people in Finland speak English, knowing at least some Finnish will help you to integrate more easily. Learning the language enriches your stay in Finland as you can understand the surrounding society better. Finnish skills often required for most jobs in Finland.
There are many ways to learn Finnish. You can take part in Finnish language courses offered by:
- Language Centre of the UEF
- Community Colleges
- Multicultural Centers
- The Finnish Red Cross also organises a Multicultural Friend programme which aims to support integration and language learning. Please contact your local Red Cross office to find out more.
There are various online Finnish language courses (infopankki.fi) available as well. Language course packages can also be borrowed from public libraries.
- Basic words and terms - English to Finnish - divided by topic
- Characteristics of Finnish language (studyinfinland.fi)
- National certificates of language proficiency (oph.fi)
- Koti Suomessa - If you know some Finnish already, learn practical Finnish online (kotisuomessa.fi)
- Työelämäsanastoa maahanmuuttajille - Working life glossary in Finnish