Insurance for staff members

All staff members whose employment has continued nonstop for at least one month are insured by the University of Eastern Finland. The staff are covered by the University insurance at work, on their way to/from work and when travelling on business. For further details, please see the UEF Intranet.

No leisure time coverage

The insurance provided by the University of Eastern Finland does not cover leisure time or any family members. Therefore, taking out a private health insurance for you and your family members is strongly recommended.

Private health insurance is also recommended for staff members coming from the EU/EEA countries because the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is not an alternative to travel insurance. The EHIC covers state-provided acute health care under the same conditions and at the same cost as for Finns. However, it does not cover private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property. Neither does the EHIC cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment.

Further information:

Insurance for researchers working on a grant

If you are not employed by the University of Eastern Finland (i.e. you do not receive salary from the University, but receive a grant, stipend or scholarship) and do not intend to immigrate to Finland on a permanent basis, you should obtain insurance in your country of permanent residence.

The insurance should cover you at least in case of an accident or acute illness. As a temporary resident in Finland, you will receive acute treatment in a hospital in case of an emergency, but you will have to cover the expenses yourself. If you are not insured by the Finnish residence-based social security scheme, a doctor's consultation at a municipal health centre or a consultation and treatment of a fractured limb at an out-patient clinic are expensive.

You are strongly advised to purchase a good medical, accident and travel insurance policy for yourself (and your family members) before your arrival in the University of Eastern Finland, because the Finnish insurance companies provide travel insurance only for permanent residents of Finland.

If you have received a grant or scholarship from Finland for longer than four months and you are covered by the Finnish social security system, the Farmers' Social Insurance Institution (Mela) is responsible for your statutory pension insurance (MYEL), occupational accident insurance (MATA) and group life insurance. MATA occupational accident insurance coverage can be complemented with voluntary non-occupational or leisure-time accident insurance. Please note that leisure-time accident insurance does not cover illnesses.

Private Insurance

The University of Eastern Finland has negotiated together with other higher education institutes in Finland insurance with MARSH/SIP. Their insurance is primarily intended for students, but also staff members and their families are eligible for this insurance.

Further information: