Entry permits

If you come from a country that is not a member state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), you will usually need a permit to enter Finland.

What kind of permit do you need?

A visa is intended for short-term stay (max. 90 days), whereas a residence permit is for visits that exceed the duration of 90 days. A residence permit for an employed person is required if you are not allowed to work with a residence permit or without one.

Whether you will need a visa, a residence permit or a residence permit for an employed person depends on the following matters:

  • your citizenship
  • duration of your stay
  • capacity in which you intend to work in Finland
  • your salary ( in some cases)

For most accurate and up-to-date information, please see the website of the Finnish Immigration Services (residence permits) and the websites of the Finnish Embassies (visas).