Faculty of Science and Forestry
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is one of the four faculties at the University of Eastern Finland. We operate on two campuses, in Joensuu and in Kuopio. The faculty comprises four departments, two schools, and the infrastructural unit SIB Labs.
The mission of the Faculty of Science and Forestry is to provide education and conduct research in natural sciences and forestry which are of a high academic standard and have a strong impact on society.
The faculty educates specialists for the changing world of work in the future and also provides a comprehensive foundation for postgraduate education. Positions for doctoral students become available in the international research environments of our units through our multidisciplinary doctoral degree programmes. In the faculty, it is also possible to complete medical physicist specialisation studies in the form of professional postgraduate education. The faculty's international Master's Degree Programmes are attractive and inviting. The faculty's teaching is being developed through the use of new educational technologies.
Strategic research areas at the faculty
The Faculty of Science and Forestry is a key implementer of the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland in the following top-level international research areas:
- Aerosols, Climate Change and Human Health (Applied Physics, Environmental Science)
- Forests, Global Change and Bioeconomy (Forest Science, Biology)
Advanced-level strong research areas developed by the faculty in line with the strategy of the University of Eastern Finland include
- Photonics – Theory, Materials and Applications (Physics and Mathematics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Biology)
- Translational Cancer Research (Environmental Science)
- Musculoskeletal Disorders (Applied Physics, Physics and Mathematics)
The University of Eastern Finland has identified as emerging research areas in line with its strategy for 2015-2018
- Methods and Applications of Uncertainty Modelling (Applied Physics)
- Aquatic Research in Changing World (Biology, Environmental Science, Applied Physics)
The faculty has itself identified the forest-based bioeconomy as a promising emerging research area.
LUMET // NEWS
- Health19 seminar and Tahko Ski Lift Pitch on 4–5 April 2019 – register today!
- SciFest moves to Botania and builds an internationally unique learning environment for science education
- University of Eastern Finland will confer 12 Honorary Doctorates in June
- The primary constraint in peat decomposition and C cycling could be reversed under global climate change
- New research questions fish stocking obligations
LUMET // EVENTS
- 12 Dec Guest lecture by Prof. Scott Slovic: “A More Particularized Understanding”: Apprehending Biospheric Change in Contemporary U.S. Writing about the Arctic, Joensuu
- 14 Dec Dissertation, MSc Eliezer Khaling (Biology), Kuopio
- 14 Dec Dissertation, MSc Vasily Sivchik, (Chemistry), Joensuu
- 14 Dec Dissertation, MSc (Agr. & For.) Mai Suominen (Forestry), Joensuu
- 17 Dec Dissertation, MSc Aleksei Sholokhov (Computer Science), Joensuu
- 18 Dec Dissertation, MSc Saara Lind (Environmental Science), Kuopio
- 18 Dec Dissertation, MSc Arijit Bera, (Physics), Joensuu
- 21 Dec Dissertation, MSc Lutful Ahad (Physics), Joensuu
- 21 Dec Dissertation, MSc Hoorieh Afkari (Computer Science), Joensuu
- 21 Dec Dissertation, PhD Yaodan Zhang (Biology), Joensuu