Future of Public Health in the Post-2015 World
Dates: 14-25 August 2017
Credits: 5 ECTS (with an option of 2 ECTS)
Teaching language: English
Level: Master, Doctoral, professional development
Max. number of attendees: 30 students
Coordinators: Dr. Sohaib Khan, MBBS, MPH, PhD, sohaib.khan(at)uef.fi (Academic coordination and course content); Ms Annika Mannikko, BSc, annika.mannikko(at)uef.fi (Practical arrangements)
Responsible department: Institute of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, School of Medicine
Learning outcomes: Students will learn about what lies in the future for Public Health:
- How the health phenomena are evolving; and how the research and interventions are responding to the changing needs of the populations.
- How the focus has expanded to include various previously underexplored internal and external factors; and how our life styles and cultures are at the forefront of this focus.
- How climate is the key to understanding many global public health changes and challenges; and how the wars and migrations are undermining the health directly and indirectly.
- What are the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, what are the proposed guidelines, and how the developed and developing worlds are aiming to achieve these goals.
An evidence based approach will be applied to draw a realistic picture. International health databases and latest research findings will be presented to overview the scenarios. Modern teaching tools will be added to the interactive classroom sessions.
This Summer School will cover the following topics:
- Tracking the Sustainable development goals
- Future of non-communicable diseases
- Ageing populations and public health
- Public health nutrition
- Public health in humanitarian crises
- Contemporary environmental aspects of public health
- Sociocultural aspects of public health, health inequalities
- Population health promotion: examples from real life
- Health care systems as sites for public health progress
- Applying epidemiology for public health problem solving
Modes of study: Lectures, discussion groups, individual exercises/problem-based tasks, independent work with data search and literature, learning diaries, site visits, group work with presentations, relevant extracurricular sociocultural program to support the course goals.
Study material: Prior reading list is provided before the course. Scientific articles and recommended further reading, electronic data sources, handouts, epidemiologic data practice package.
Evaluation: Pass/Fail (grading for special request: 0-5, based on attendance and assignments)
2 ECTS: Attending the lectures, and written assignment based on the provided reading materials.
5 ECTS: Like above, and additionally group work, readings and individual oral presentations.
Course director: Professor Jussi Kauhanen, MD, MPH, PhD, Director, Institute of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Eastern Finland
Arja Erkkilä, PhD, adjunct professor, public health nutrition
Jussi Kauhanen, MD, PhD, MPH, professor, public health
Sohaib Khan, MBBS, PhD, MPH, assistant professor, international health
Simo Kokko, MD, PhD, adjunct professor, senior medical officer, health care systems
Tiina Laatikainen, MD, PhD, professor, health promotion
Timo Lanki, PhD, professor, environmental health
Eija Lönnroos, MD, PhD, professor, geriatrics
Kimmo Räsänen, MD, PhD, professor, occupational health
Tomi-Pekka Tuomainen, MD, PhD, professor, epidemiology
Ilkka Vohlonen, MD, MPH, PhD, professor, health policy