Advanced English Academic and Professional Communication (AEAPC)
Time: 12-23 August 2019
Duration and credits: two weeks, 5 ECTS
Teaching language: English
Max. number of attendees: to be announced
Course coordinator: Lauri Tolkki, email@example.com
Responsible department: Language Centre
Learning outcomes: During the course students:
- understand the principles of academic writing and presenting in English, including grammar, style, accuracy, fluency and active use of academic and field-specific English.
- develop their critical reading and critical thinking skills in the context of their own academic discipline and are able to produce academic text that demonstrates analysis of both reference materials and original contribution.
- actively take part in all classroom activities, including discussions in pairs and small groups, group work and debates.
- develop their academic writing skills through writing a critical review and an academic essay connected to the student’s own research interests.
- develop their academic presentation skills by preparing and presenting an academic presentation on their own research interests.
- are able to provide constructive peer feedback to others on their writing and presenting and reflectively analyse their own production and development during the course.
Aims of this course are to practice and develop writing skills and presentation skills in English in the context of each student’s own academic field of study.
Modes of study: Activities will consist of daily classroom meetings with information about academic style, academic writing and academic presentations. There will be lectures, discussions, pair and group work, writ-ten exercises and assignments, and oral tasks, including an academic presentation delivered on campus (ei-ther in Joensuu or in Kuopio). Much of the development takes place through collaborative learning, reflec-tion, feedback and commentary.
Study materials: will be provided by the lecturer in class and on Moodle.
Evaluation criteria: To pass the course, students are required to:
1.Participate actively in the classes, discussions and activities
2.Complete all assignments with passing grades, according to the set deadlines, and displaying a satis-factory overall level of knowledge of academic English
Students are required to attend at least 80% of the contact hours.
Teacher: Dr. Satu Tuomainen, Senior Lecturer in English, UEF Kuopio Language Centre