Advanced English Academic and Professional Communication (AEAPC)
Duration and credits: two weeks, 5 ECTS
Teaching Language: English
Level: Master's level students
Max. number of attendees: 25
Course coordinator: Lauri Tolkki, email@example.com
Responsible departments: Language Centre
Learning outcomes: During the course students:
- understand the principles of academic writing and presenting in English, including grammar, style, accuracy, fluency and active use of academic and field-specific English.
- develop their critical reading and critical thinking skills in the context of their own academic discipline and are able to produce academic text that demonstrates analysis of both reference materials and original contribution.
- actively take part in all classroom activities, including discussions in pairs and small groups, group work and debates.
- develop their academic writing skills through writing a critical review and an academic essay connected to the student’s own research interests.
- develop their academic presentation skills by preparing and presenting an academic presentation on their own research interests.
- are able to provide constructive peer feedback to others on their writing and presenting and reflectively analyse their own production and development during the course.
Academic English, development of academic writing and presenting, academic style, appropriate use of general academic English and field-specific terminology, accuracy in writing, style and structure of effective academic presentations, peer feedback and commentary, reflective learning
Modes of study: Active attendance and development of language skills in the contact weeks in Kuopio (80% attendance), the Moodle learning environment used concurrently for exercises and assignments.
Study materials: Materials delivered during contact teaching and in the Moodle learning environment.
Evaluation criteria: 1) Active participation in the activities in the contact weeks in Kuopio, 2) Completion of all assignments with passing grades, according to the set deadlines, and displaying a good overall level of academic English
Teacher: Dr. Satu Tuomainen, Senior Lecturer, UEF Kuopio Language Centre